Friday, May 17, 2019

SABADO NIGHTS EUROPE Tune Up Series


Helmet + Bike by Loose Keys

(A story by Stiff – Solo Artist, proprietor at Loudhouse Music Enterprise, lead vocalist of the Rockoustic Blues Experiment, gatekeeper of The Rizal Underground, musical voyager to some of the most beautiful destinations of the World)

As my upcoming 10 show #sabadonightseuropetour approaches, I embark on another tune up series just as I did last year in preparation for the 2018 US Tour.



Cebu's best. PANDORA

This time, I chose to do more shows but racking up just as many miles; kicking off as usual at MAC ROCK N ROLL & BLUES RESTOBAR in Cebu, with the PANDORA, the rockinest cats of Cebu, who have mastered my repertoire, including music of THE RIZAL UNDERGROUND & ROCKOUSTIC BLUES EXPERIMENT. These guys have showed tremendous support over the years and I am truly indebted. Glad to also see Cebu friends who likewise joined us for a few drinks and a quick jam.


After a night's rest I fly back to this wonderful SIARGAO Island, who has not ceased to amaze me since the first time I laid my eyes on her. I’ve made many friends over the years, meeting the local legends and new friends who've taken the leap to move here. I love the culture and vibe this small island offers, plus the number of venues that welcomed me here for gigs.


Kirby & Peach of VIVO Siargao
Let’s start with a heartwarming welcome given by VIVO INN BISTRO SIARGAO hosts KIRBY LUCERO & PEACH, also by the owners, Mr. & Mrs. Calvo and the rockin’ tandem of KAI & DON. I certainly did not know what to expect on a Friday night but the Bistro, dishing out the best in Filipino and fusion cuisine served good music and didn’t really scrimp on the equipment that led to so much fun; we were joined by KIRBY on drums, PAO on percs & a foreign guest on trumpet. Without much rehearsal we carried on with the support of KAI on his guitar and songs plus DON on the saxophone. A great way to start this series for sure.



Harana Surf

The following night was just as epic as I stepped into the HARANA SURF RESORT stage, which basically owns the Sabado Night scene on the island. This time I’m supported by the old guards, MARLO GALLARDO & GAPS SABUERO on bass, with KIRBY, KAI & DON also in support and then later joined by Siargao legend WILMAR, everybody loves him.. The crowd went berserk as we were finishing the more than an hour long set until the DJ started pumping his tunes



Kitya's House
Next was KITYA’S PLACE, the crowd favorite for Sunday nights and the only place that serves ramen on the island. My lovely host KITYA FERRER treated us to hot bowl of ramen before heading out to the venue. But as the night progressed, an unscheduled brown-out cut our performance short. KAI, DON & were were able to recover fast though as the crowd grew during the moments of silence. Pretty soon it was again time for another DJ to add a huge spark to an already late evening.




Loose Talks


After 4 gigs in 5 nights, including Cebu, Monday was planned to be slow, capping it off by "LOOSE TALKS", a new talk show program hosted by reknowned journalist CAMILLE BANZON for LOOSE KEYS MOTO CULTURE, a relatively new place that serves rock and roll combined with good food. Not bad for a Monday night, my hosts, headed by VITECHA KOCHAON or V for short were really very caring, lent me a motorbike and provided accommodations in the first part of my stay in Siargao. These guys are working overtime to showcase music and culture to the island and I am just so happy to be a part of that. See the "Loose Talks" VIDEO HERE



Loose Keys

The following night I head back to LOOSE KEYS MOTO CULTURE for the proper performance again with MARLO & GAPS. This gathering of a great crowd and the music, combined with the heat generated by the gyrations really pushed the boundaries of rock and roll. After the first 75 minutes I had to beg off but the crowd and the band went on for 3 hours non-stop with some in the audience joining the crew for a jam.

And then finally it was Wednesday and the next gig was slated for Manila that Saturday. Such a grueling but superbly enjoyable schedule is now rewarded with an island hopping trip to CORREGIDOR ISLAND, such a beautiful place and I thank my dear KITYA for such a treat. The food, company and scenery was unbelievable. Gotta take my kids there soon.


Day Off

My last full day on the island was spent on a motorbike mostly, exploring the rest of Siargao was simply spectacular. I will not forgive myself If I hadn’t done that on my third trip here. After a long day on the road I catch up with my two favorite Boracay buddies GENE DELA CRUZ & ANDREW MALARKY for a night cap that ended up in BAILE RESTOBAR, another crowd favorite on Thursday nights. By now, I’ve not stopped drinking for 9 days and so I needed some rest before I culminate this tune up series in ALCHEMY BISTRO BAR. Luckily, nothing scheduled on a Friday except for the flight back to Manila. Ahhh Siargao, I’m so in love with you.


Alchemy with the Boys

But nonetheless, I was very happy to fly back to Manila to perform with a supergroup one last time before I leave for Europe. Joining me for that #sabadonights was BONGLENNON, BRUTUS, PEX & Pinoy rock guitar icon, JUN LOPITO. That must’ve been the most fulfilling gig this 2019 because of the love and support of friends who came to wish me luck for the upcoming tour and to jam on stage. Thank you GUS ALBOR, CHARLIE YSMAEL & tour partner BUNNY LIWANAG!





This grueling Tune-up Series but was so much fun. I cannot thank everyone enough for the love and support, to all me friends in Cebu, Siargao and Manila, maraming, maraming salamat po. I will take that memory and blast away in Europe!

I hope to see you again very soon and please follow me on my Facebook page STIFF LU, for more information about this upcoming journey.

Here are some PHOTOS grabbed from all over the place. Thank you to the photographers and more power to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *