Tuesday, October 7, 2014

CEBU -17 YEARS AFTER




(A story by Stiff – Proprietor at Loudhouse Music Enterprise, lead vocalist of Rizal Underground and a musical voyager to some of the most beautiful destinations of the World)

This story begins after the long birthday celebration that supposedly concluded at CHARLIE’S STEAKHOUSE & DINER Grand Opening Party and right before the even bigger surprise that was Siargao Island. In between, I decided to spend the night in Cebu to catch up with my beautiful, long time friends ANN MARIE TAN & JULIENNE EVA GUANZON, whom I’ve not seen in 15 years or so. To add spice to the mix, I asked the only Cebuano friend I have, JERROS DOLINO for anyone who can show me the music scene in Cebu. 

Now a practicing lawyer based in Manila , Jerros introduced me to a couple of Cebu scenesters – GRAE ELMIDO & IAN ZAFRA of SHEILA & THE INSECTS who was unfortunately unavailable that evening. After having a lovely lechon dinner with ma beautiful friends, we were joined next door; literally, by Grae and the lovely JAQ SIWALA, who was conferring with Julienne about KICK FOR LIFE, a project to break the GUINNESS WORLD RECORD for the longest football match to raise awareness for congenital heart disease.

Over a few drinks we talk about life, football, legal matters and more importantly, music. The conversation moved to Handuraw Pizza Gorordo where I was asked, or did I impose to play a couple of songs on stage? It gets hazy after a few bevies you know. We then proceeded to a couple other venues like MANGGAHAN, KOA TREE HOUSE and the legendary OUTPOST. Groovy looking venues and one I dared myself to do a gig at. But as night turned into day, I bid adieu to my new found friends and headed out to the airport for another adventure that was Siargao Island.

One week after returning from Siargao, I received an invite from CHARLIE SOLER for another stint at CHARLIE’S STEAKHOUSE & DINER, this time for the reunion of his band, the ROC DOCS. slated for Octobe 1 & 2, weekdays, So I decided to revisit Cebu on a SABADO NIGHT in an attempt to do a gig there, anywhere would do. I asked Grae, and Ian – days and weeks of discussions and the guys came through with a spot at HANDURAW and I’ve not stopped smiling since.

After that successful two day stint in Boracay, I fly to Cebu with high expectations. The last time I gigged in Cebu was with the RIZAL UNDERGROUND for the LOKOMOTIBO ’97 Tour and 17 YEARS AFTER, I return and found a guitar partner to join me on stage care of the ATTY. JERROS DOLINO who introduced me to MAMAI CINCO, also a frequent visitor to Siargao I found out later, met up with for a short jam before the show and the coolness factor, was raised by 100%.

Prior to the show, I joined the SABADO NIGHTS FOODIES as a guest and was treated to an outrageously heavy dinner. By the time we got to HANDURAW, I was ready for a bottle of Jack Daniels to wash it down with the help of Grae, Mamai and his girlfriend BEATRICE SALA BOZA; we actively relieved ourselves of the weight as the vigorous performance of BLIND PUPPET filled the stage. After their set, we came up and started rockin’, much to my wishes – I felt very much at home with the friendly crowd that rocked along, especially with the Rizal Underground tunes - we were later joined by the BLIND PUPPET guitarist, JONG PEÑALOSA. Mamai - whose energetic licks surely infected my otherwise tired body and we were later joined by Grae onstage for a couple of numbers to cap off the set. .



It was a truly memorable gig and one that I’d be happy to do again and again and again. Special thanks to all ya gorgeous Cebu folks and friends. Keep on rockin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *