Monday, September 29, 2014

A HABAGAT HOLIDAY IN BORACAY








(A story by Stiff – Proprietor at Loudhouse Music Enterprise, lead vocalist of Rizal Underground and a musical voyager to some of the most beautiful destinations of the World)




Back in early August 2014, during the slower time of the year, I was given an assignment to visit Boracay. The island is sprawling with Asian tourists; there no longer is a “low” season to speak of. And as usual, I took advantage of this opportunity to gig in the island as I always do. Upon check-in at ONE AZUL, I bumped into International Kiteboarding sensation, BONG KITEBOARDING, who’s facility migrates to KASBAH BORACAY during this season, he just opened YOUR LOKAL BAR along Bulabog road. A cozy, happy place as I would describe it; we had a nice jam with friends, among those present that evening was the newest island resident KATRINA TUAZON.

Katz, as she is fondly referred to was also busy helping out in the newly opened ROJO, a Spanish restaurant at the veranda of FAIRWAYS &BLUEWATER, operated by the owners of DOS MESTIZOS. After a few drinks Katz invited me to visit ROJO for TAPAS NIGHT the following evening. ROJO is a really nice place with a view of the golf course on one side, and a huge dining area on the inside. There was ALBERTO with his classical guitar performing in one area of the room and the TAPAS buffet in another.

I later found out that it was BORACAYMAG Publisher and TRIPTOBORACAY operator DONNIE DEL CAMPO taking charge of the kitchen.  We had a short chat and right after dinner, I got another invitation to play at DOS MESTIZOS for the next evening. Saturday came and THE SOLIMAN FAMILY was on stage, it’s always a charm to watch these guys render their own version of songs, and thanks to the input of Katz; LED ZEPPELIN is now part of their repertoire. I was in the company of the always delightful ABET JIMENEZ and we end up downing a few bevies and performing with the band.

Afterwards, Abet and I went to check this place down the road, with a huge guitar, a la HARD ROCK CAFÉ on the façade. At the time, the signage read YCL HOTEL BORACAY. Upon entering the venue, I couldn’t help but notice a rare guitar collection hanging on the wall - HOFNER, GRETSCH & STRAT. (Huwaw diba?) The interiors and furnishings mimicked that of a proper English pub and did I mention the quality of the sounds coming out of the top caliber EV speakers - the band performance though was just a bit disappointing.

I met the manager, MIKE DENIEGA, who also happened to be a talented guitarist. One thing led to another and we decided to organize an impromptu jam that Monday. This gig soon turned out to be an event as island friends joined in to watch and jam. I’d have to say Mike and I got along really well on and off stage as I got an invitation to join the lineup for the 3 night grand opening party slated for August 29, 30 & September 1, headlined by my nineties mates GARY IGNACIO & TRUE FAITH. This was to coincide with a huge birthday week for me and this will serve as a fitting end to the celebrations.

I unfortunately had to miss the first night as I had a scheduled gig at the Fort. Flying in with a hangover on Saturday, I arrive at the now CHARLIE’S STEAKHOUSE & DINER and met the main man, CHARLIE SOLER, another talented musician. I didn’t know what to expect but upon entering the venue, I see a RICKENBACKER guitar on the wall and he lent me his GRETSCH and then we got along fine! After a quick run through with the assembled band I tried the tenderloin steak, certified Angus beef mind you, and cut it with my fork just to check. Succulent!

Kicking off the evening was GARY IGNACIO who hasn’t lost a beat; doing 80’s and 90’s cover tunes with a few tunes from his previous band ALAMID. Then it was our turn and Mr. Jack Daniels provided the inspiration for the classic rock covers and RIZAL UNDERGROUND tunes. We brought in Charlie to do a few songs then it was TRUE FAITH with MEDWIN MARFIL’S vocals filling the air. It was lovely to see these guys again and the crowd really went berserk and joined in the sing song session.

We had pretty much the same vibe on Sunday night and that meant an unforgettable week of celebration for me. It was such a sonic treat to play on that stage, better sounding than a lot of Manila venues I can tell. The rooms at YCL HOTEL, located right above Charlie’s were very cozy and well equipped. Nice big bathrooms and brand spanking new. Tried more of the food on the menu and it was just perfect.

On October 1 and 2, I will return to CHARLIE’S STEAKHOUSE & DINER to join the ROC DOCS, Charlie’s & Mike’s band reuniting after a long pause. We’re gonna rock it out for you so please keep these dates free and hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *